- Meat and poultry
- Beef pasta
This spag bol is what I grew up with, and it is still the best! You can make the sauce well in advance and keep it in the fridge for a few days. Try freezing in dinner-sized portions!
15 people made this
- 500g beef mince
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 1/2 pepper, diced
- 4 mushrooms, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 80g tomato puree
- 1 good pinch salt
- 1 good pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 celery stick, whole
- 250g spaghetti
- grated Parmesan cheese to serve
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:2hr ›Ready in:2hr15min
- Brown mince and bacon; add vegetables and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and stir. Fill the empty tin from the tomatoes half full with water and add to the pan.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar, herbs and Worcestershire and stir well. Add celery stick and place on high heat for 10 minutes, then simmer for 1 hour or until being served - the longer it simmers the better.
- After about 1/2 hour of simmering, do a taste test and season if necessary.
- About 10 minutes before dinner, boil spaghetti. Remove the whole celery stick and discard.
- Place spaghetti onto plate and place Bolognese on top. Serve with Parmesan cheese and garlic bread as a side dish. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(10)
Reviews in English (8)
Not great-05 Aug 2015
Really nice - I found I needed quite a bit more water though than the half a can. Great "stealth vegetables" for kids (big and small)!-02 Jul 2013(Review from this site AU | NZ)