- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Savoury pies and tarts
- Vegetarian pies and tarts
This is a delicious pastry-less aubergine quiche. If the flipping doesn't go well, don't worry - it'll taste great cut straight from the baking tin.
15 people made this
- 4 aubergines
- coarse salt
- olive oil for frying
- 300g cooked ham, diced
- 300g mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 eggs
- 100g Parmesan, freshly grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
MethodPrep:25min ›Ready in:25min
- Peel and cut the aubergines into 1cm thick slices. Immediately sprinkle slices with coarse salt and leave to sweat for an hour (which draws out the bitter taste).
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Rinse aubergine under cold water and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper. Fry in olive oil till tender; remove from pan and drain over kitchen paper to absorb excess oil from the aubergine.
- Grease a 23cm cake tin and layer half the aubergine in it. Put the ham, mozzarella and basil on top of the aubergine, followed by the remaining aubergine.
- Whisk the eggs with Parmesan, salt and pepper, then pour over the aubergine and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly and then carefully flip it over onto a plate. Serve lukewarm or at room temperature.