We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Savoury pies and tarts
- Vegetable pies and tarts
- Tomato tart
This is a recipe that I have tweaked from one I found on David Liebovitz's great food blog. It's a wonderfully earthy, country style recipe that is perfect served hot or eaten cold for a picnic or in the garden on a lazy summer's afternoon.
Yorkshire, England, UK
3 people made this
- 210g plain flour, sieved
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, sieved
- 125g butter, chopped in small cubes and softened
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 free range egg, large
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 2 to 3 large, ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 1 orange or yellow pepper, chopped into 1 to 2cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme and chives, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Steenbergs® Perfect Salt seasoning, or salt and pepper
- 125g goat's cheese, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:55min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Firstly, we need to make the pastry. Mix together the plain flour and the sea salt in a mixing bowl. Add the softened butter and rub into the plain flour until you get the consistency of breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl or cup, add the cold water to the free range egg and lightly whisk together. Now make a well in the flour mixture and tip the egg-water mix into this, and using a knife mix together until you get a smooth pastry.
- Lightly grease or butter a flan dish that's 30cm across or use 2 small flan dishes. Roll out the pastry on a floured board and use to line the flan dish(es), using your fingers to fix the pastry into the flutes. Put this into the fridge for about 10 minutes while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Take out the cooled pastry and spread the mustard over the base of the pastry.
- Place into the hot oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and arrange the tomatoes over the pastry base. Sprinkle over the chopped peppers, the chopped herbs, and the Steenbergs Perfect Salt seasoning (or sea salt and black pepper). Place the slices of goat's cheese over the tomatoes and other ingredients. Drizzle over the olive oil.
- Put into the oven and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.
You can speed this recipe up a lot by using pre-made frozen shortcrust pastry or even puff pastry.